August 21, 2018

OUR SPEECH SAYS MUCH ABOUT US.....




Thomas Brooks declared, "We know metals by their tinkling and men by their talking." We all stuggle to say things "just right." Actually, we need God to give us wisdom in our discourse. 

And surely God knows this, So, IF I PRAY THIS......

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer" (Psalm 19:14).

I MAY BE ABLE TO TESTIFY LIKE THIS.....

"All the utterances of my mouth are in righteousness; There is nothing crooked or perverted in them" (Proverbs 8:8).


Is it really possible for any mere human to even utter such a statement? Jesus is really the only one who could utter such an all-encompassing thing. But we must pray, pray, pray and try, try, try and at the very least keep getting it better. James says no man can tame the tongue. He sure got that right. But, again, we can cry out for Divine help! "It is not enough to harvest knowledge by study; the wind of talk must winnow it and blow away the chaff." So help us, God!

Let me nail this down with a humorous story. Someone smilingly reminisced, "Born and raised in Milwaukee, I sometimes have trouble understanding Boston accents. On business in Boston with a female associate, I met several other women who would be working with us on a research project. The conversation turned tojewelry, and one of the Bostonians asked my colleague, "Do you have P.S.D.S.?" She looked puzzled and the woman repeated her question, "Do you have P.S.D.S.?" May associate turned to me for help. I had no idea what "P.S.D.S." was, and I shrugged. The Bostonian realized we didn't understand her question, touched her pierced hear lobes and said, "You know, P.S.D.S.!"


Again, this points out again that we must keep praying and working at understandable and Christ-honoring communication.

- dick christen