November 26, 2017

A CURIOUS ASPECT OF PRAYER...



A CURIOUS ASPECT OF PRAYER... "You who remind the Lord, take no rest for yourselves; And give Him no rest..." (Is. 62:6,7)

Does God need reminding? Prayer apparently "reminds" God of whatever we may previously have brought
 to Him, but not that He ever forgets anything. He can't. God never learns anything new or forgets anything old. Everything is an eternal 'present' to Him. But perhaps we remind Him in this sense: that our request brings a matter to the forefront of His mind for His special consideration and response. If this be the case is this not an additional incentive for prayer? When Samson was in deep trouble he "called to the Lord and said, 'O Lord God, please remember me and strengthen me just this time..." (Judges 16:28). And God did!

My child may ask and ask for something he dearly wants. I have that firmly in mind but let it slide to the back of my mind because now is not the time for a wise response. Then one day he asks and now is the right time and so I respond. But I may not have except that once again he brought it to my readied attention. 

All this reminds us that prayer is answered in God's time, not ours. Spurgeon remarked, "Let your fleece lie on the threshing floor of supplication till it is wet with the dew of heaven." 

"You who remind the Lord, take no rest for yourselves."


dc