January 20, 2016

DARE WE PROBE THE MIND OF GOD?


                    WHAT ARE GOD’S THOUGHTS LIKE?
          (OR, REVERENTLY, MAY WE PROBE THE MIND OF GOD?)

PSALM 40:5 – “Many, O Lord my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.” (Psalms 40:5)
  
QUESTION: ARE GOD’S THOUGHTS EVEN EXPLORABLE? CAN A MERE CREATURE ADEQUATELY SEARCH OUT THE ‘BEING’ OF GOD?
“But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.” (1 Corinthians 2:9-11)

THREE POINTS OF CONSIDERATION:

1.   GOD’S THOUGHTS ARE INNUMERABLE - (PSALM 40:5a,d)
Many, O Lord my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done… they are more than can be numbered.”
C.F. (Psalm 139:17,18) - “How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.”

2.   GOD’S THOUGHTS ARE INCALULABLE – (PSALM 40:5c)
“…they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee…”

“Reckoned” may be rendered “recounted” – a mathematical word

Illus. Romans, chapters 9-11, reveal God’s amazing solution to the problem of Israel! (Romans 11:1a, 11-14, 25-27)  If God can unravel Israel’s complex issues, can He not solve any problem we may have? With the Apostle Paul, let us GLORY in His incalculable ability to do so! READ PAUL’S EFFUSIVE DOXOLOGY:

“O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! 34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? 35 Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.” (Romans 11:33-36)

3.   GOD’S THOUGHTS ARE INCOMPREHENSIBLE (5b)
“…and thy thoughts which are to us-ward…”

LISTEN TO GOD TALK ABOUT HIMSELF: “Remember this, and shew yourselves men: bring it again to mind, O ye transgressors. 9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, 10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure: 11 Calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it.” (Isaiah 46:8-11)

rdc