September 08, 2015

A PRAYER FOR OLD AGE...


"Lord, Thou knowest, better than I know myself, that I am growing older. 
   Keep me from becoming talkative, and from the habit of thinking that I must say something on every occasion.
   Release me from the craving to straighten out other peoples' affairs.
   Keep my mind free from endless detail; give me wings to get to the point. 
   Give me grace to listen to the recital of others' tribulations. Help me to endure with patience.
   Seal my lips against my own aches and pains. They are increasing, and Thou knowest my love of rehearsing them is becoming pleasanter as the years go by.
   Teach me that occasionally it is possible that I may be mistaken.
   Make me thoughtful, but not moody; helpful, but not bossy. Give me an awareness of the limits to my own store of wisdom. It seems a pity not to use it all, but Thou knowest, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end. Amen."